Ubuntu dual-boot setup, choose Windows as default

I have recently installed Ubuntu as an alternative Operating System onto my PC. Ubuntu is a version of the free Linux operating system, I thought it was about time for me to try it. However, I do wish to keep my Windows stuff unchanged, hence I went for the dual-boot option.

The installation was actually very easy.
- First I downloaded Ubuntu for Windows here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
- Then created a installer on a USB stick with these instructions http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
- Restarted the computer, and chose to boot from USB at Setup.


And everything worked perfectly.

However, the PC will now choose to start Ubuntu by default  if you don't choose Windows at restart (on mine it's the third option down), but I actually wanted Windows as the deafult boot option.


Luckily this was not diffuclt to change:
- Click on the Ubuntu icon, in the searchbar type Terminal.
- Click Terminal to bring up the command line interface.
- Type sudo gedit /etc/default/grub  and press enter.
- Modify the line where it says default=0, change this number to choose windows by default. For my machines, Windows is the third one down and because the list starts from 0, Windows would be number 2. So set default =2.
- Save and close the file.
- Restart the machine and it should now launch Windows by default if you don't do anything.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IWEB trading platform, service review

What Gaming Taught Me About Life

Review: Dodl - AJ Bell's User-Friendly Investment App