Something remembered

Sometimes you just have no idea what will hit you on a typical peaceful, innocent Saturday morning. And by that I don't mean getting hit by something physical like a meteorite whilst you are having tea, hopefully something surprising but less painful.

I bumped into a colleague from my company on one of those mornings. Walking down the street, minding my own business. I have not seen this guy for almost 2 years. He helped me with the administrative works when I first arrived at the company, but I have not caught up with him ever since.

I asked him how he was. I remembered he was doing some sort of online degree, so I asked how that went. "Oh, it's going great," he said. In fact, he was just about to complete the course and have his final exam in a couple of days. Then he said something unexpected. "I am thinking about leaving." "You mean your job?" I said, a little confused. "My wife and I would like to go abroad and study." "That sounds great," I said. The guy has 3 kids and he and his wife have worked hard together to provide for their family and now they can finally afford to further develop themselves. Anyone with a full time job can tell you adding more to your plate is not easy, especially starting a young family and getting further education at the same time, I have a lot of respect for the guy.


 "You are the one that inspired me," he said. "Huh??" I sure sound surprised, I mean, I haven't seen the guy in two years. "Remember you telling me your story when you first joined the company? That was one of the conversations that I have kept close to my heart, to make me want to achieve more." I vaguely remember telling him how I grew up and got myself through higher education, but more like a chitchat. I have, and had no idea what I said could have such an impact on him.

I guess this happens more often than we care to remember. Sometimes, a small gesture, a  comment, a story, can have long lasting impacts on those around us. I am glad that I have somehow unintentionally inspired someone to achieve and better themselves. And I shall remember- sometimes, what you say can have a lasting impact on others.

"Best of luck to you and your family. I know you will do very well."
"Thank you."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IWEB trading platform, service review

What Gaming Taught Me About Life

Review: Dodl - AJ Bell's User-Friendly Investment App