Force restore your iphone (stuck when resetting)


I have decided to factory reset my iPhone 4 and get rid of all the junk accumulated over the years. Doing this for the first time, it took longer than I expected. I've decided to write this down incase this happens again. I tried two methods (mainly because the first easier option didn't go well for me) - long story.

Warning: Try backingup your iphone with iTune before attempting any reset.

Method 1:
First try reset the phone using:
General→Reset
Select the most applicable reset you want to do.

(becareful of the "Erase All Content and Settings" option, which will wipe out all your data and settings!)

more detailed instruction can be found here (click on image):



So, I tried method 1 myself (I wanted the factory reset, so I used the "Erase All" option), and unfortunately for me, my iPhone got stuck at the reboot screen and would not go any further. what now? I thought. Well, if this happens to you, panic for 5 minutes and read on...


Method 2:
Reset using iTune.

If your iPhone can still reboot normally then you may do a simple restore with iTunes as usual. 

If your iPhone does not start normally:

Enter Recovery Mode
1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPhone shuts off.
2. Open iTunes
3. While holding down the Home button plug the cable into the iphone.
Contunue holding the home button until you see the iTunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPhone screen. This may take up to 30 seconds. 

4. Voila iTunes should now detect the iPhone and you can perform a restore.


Method 2 worked for me. Actually it also corrected an issue I had previously. I have not connected to iTune for almost 2 years now, mainly because iTune does not detect my iPhone when connected through USB. Whilst doing step 1-4 of Method 2, it actually forced my computer to reinstall the iPhone USB driver!



So, my phone got restored and all is well, panic over. And I can now also connect to iTune via USB with no problem. Good days.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IWEB trading platform, service review

What Gaming Taught Me About Life

Review: Dodl - AJ Bell's User-Friendly Investment App